Hydropower Sustainability Guidelines
Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Tool
Programmes of Activities
You are here:
Programmes of Activities
IHA, as the management entity of the Protocol, has received funding from the Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) to promote and use the Early Stage tool of the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol in lower-income countries and to support the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Council.
Activities related to the Early Stage tool
As part of this project, SECO and IHA have worked with the Ministry of Power in Ghana to apply the Early Stage tool of the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol. Six projects in Ghana were assessed using the Early Stage tool, and key stakeholders received capacity-building training in the use of the Protocol. The same process will then be undertaken in Indonesia in 2017.
Lessons learnt in the application of the Early Stage of the Protocol and a desk study on available tools at the early stage, will contribute to improve the tool through discussions with the Protocol Governance Council experts group.
Activities supporting Protocol Governance
SECO has also committed to funding the strengthening of the Protocol’s Governance Council through a number of activities, including support for expert workshops, studies on the Early Stage tool, a strategic review of the Protocol, and the development of a web-hosted tool to facilitate better collaboration between the different Council Chambers.
The programme will involve the preparation of a climate change topic, and four ‘how-to’ guides on the topics of indigenous peoples, resettlement, erosion and sedimentation, and downstream flows.
The expected project outcomes are:
• Wider institutional outreach of the Protocol;
• Increased and wider geographic spread of Protocol assessments, notably in developing countries; and
• Sustainable development of hydropower in Ghana and in the second country of project implementation.
The expected project outputs are:
• Refined Early Stage assessments tool;
• Efficient consultations between members of the Council consultative Chambers;
• Improved access, reporting and analysis of Protocol assessments results;
• Sustainability assessments of potential hydropower sites in Ghana and in the second implementation country; and
• Hydropower stakeholders in Ghana and in the second implementation country trained on hydropower sustainability.